Buy a reusable water bottle opposed to buying plastic water bottles at the store. Americans are using 50 billion water bottles each year and only recycle 23% of the plastic bottles. This adds up to 38 billion water bottles into the landfills. Hawaii’s landfills are at max capacity, needed us to export tons of waste to the continental US for disposal. HydroFlasks are a favorite among our captains. They can keep your water ice cold from Hanalei to Polihale.
3 Easy Ways to Travel Green [Eco-Friendly]
Na Pali Pirates is committed to keeping our precious Na Pali Coast pristine and preserved for everyone to enjoy. Our annual beach clean up is just one of the many ways we take responsibility in being sustainable, low-impact and eco-friendly operation. Here are some other easy solutions we encourage all of our captains and guests to use so they can be friends of the environment and life a low-impact lifestyle.
Companies like FloWater have been installing water-filtration systems across the island, like at our favorite hotel Grand Hyatt Kauai. They make it easy to fill and refill your bottle with cold and freshly filtered water on the go.
2) Eat at Ocean Friendly Restaurants
Ocean Friendly Restaurants is an initiative that the Surfrider Foundation Program is leading that recognizes eco-conscious eateries in Hawaii. To qualify as “Ocean Friendly” the restaurant must meet the following criteria:
- No polystyrene. aka styrfoam, all take out containers must be compostable or recyclable.
- Proper recycling practices are followed, to the extent available in the community.
- Only reusable tableware is used for on site dining, and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered.
Restaurants are also encouraged to the following:
- Plastic Straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers with reusable cup, mug, bag etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and energy Star appliances.
Some of our favorite OFR on Kauai include:
Little Fish Coffee (Easy stop in Poipu or Hanapepe on the way to our tour!)
Kalalea Juice Hale
Kauai Juice Co
Kauai Beer Company
It is estimated that between 6,000 and 14,000 tons of sunscreen washes off into our coral reefs every year. Common sunscreens are made with oxybenzone, the active chemical ingredient in blocking UV rays. Oxybenzone is extremely harmful to coral reefs and is toxic even in low concentrations. Reef that has been commonly exposed to high areas of sunscreen use, like the shallow shore areas on Kauai, have accelerated rates of coral bleaching.
You can do your part in limit the use of sunscreen by wearing UV protection clothing. UV protection clothing can be purchased at any surf shop on the island, and widely available online, We purchase our captains shirts from Anetik.
When you do use sunscreen, use one that is made with zinc-oxide as the active ingredient, like those from Badger or Raw Elements.